Lightning sparks house fire in Milton - CBS46 News

Lightning sparks house fire in Milton

Posted: Updated:
MILTON, GA (CBS46) -

A man whose home was struck by lightning early Wednesday morning said his home might have been destroyed had it not been for his wife, who's a light sleeper.

John Pearson, an emergency room doctor at Northside Hospital, said he went to bed at about 2 a.m. after working a late shift.

"The only thing I remember is my wife waking me up hysterically," Pearson said.

She asked her husband if he heard a loud noise.

"And I didn't," he said. "And she started saying she smelled smoke."

They investigated and realized there was a fire in the attic.

"That's when she got the kids out of the house and I grabbed the fire extinguisher, went in the attic and did what I could," he said.

Milton firefighters got there quickly. They were a bit surprised to get a call like this.

"It's very rare to have a lightning strike this time of year," said Deputy Chief Mark Stephens. "Typically, fires in the winter are caused by heating devices, not lightning."

As the family evacuated their home, Parsons says his wife made him grab something.

"We have a picture of us, Jackie and I, and she made me take it off the wall and bring it with us," Pearson said with a smile.

The good news is firefighters were able to contain the fire quickly, thanks to Pearson's wife, who's a light sleeper.

"We would never have known had my wife not heard the lightning strike, so we feel very lucky," said Pearson.

Besides the fire damage to the attic, the home has some smoke and water damage. No one was hurt.

Copyright 2012, WGCL-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.