Missing DeKalb County children found - CBS46 News

Missing DeKalb County children found

Posted: Updated:

CBS Atlanta News was there Wednesday, moments after two missing toddlers, 3 year-old Jalen Mattison and 1-year-old Amari Mattison, were turned over to DeKalb County police 12 hours after they were taken from their mother.

The children, who were escorted by two police officers and two unidentified women, were put into a car and taken to police headquarters.

Late Wednesday evening, the mother of the children, whose name has not been released by police, still had not seen her children.

Investigators with the Division of Family and Children Services were called in after police said questions were raised about how the children were treated by their mother. Police said the mother and children will not be allowed to see each other until DFACS says it is OK.

Investigators said the situation began early Wednesday morning.

"Around 2 a.m. the mother said she was heading eastbound on I-20 when her car broke down. She said at this point an unknown individual stopped to give some aide and gave her and her children a ride to a Shell gas station off of Wesley Chapel Rd," said Mekka Parish, a spokeswoman for the DeKalb County Police Department.

Investigators said a short time later the mother of the kids saw a DeKalb Police officer stopped by her car on the expressway.

"The mother walked down the ramp to meet the officer to discuss what had transpired, that's when she returned to that Shell gas station and that individual had taken her children," Parish said.

Surveillance cameras from the gas station captured it all. The video shows a man walking to a green older model Jeep Cherokee and then driving off. A Levi's Call was issued and a massive search ensued.

"We had an intensive canvass along that Wesley Chapel corridor with the assistance of K-9 units, uniform officers and our helicopter," Parish said.

The two unidentified women delivered the children to police at the DeKalb County Magistrate Court late Wednesday afternoon. 

"Shortly after the kids were kidnapped, the suspect dropped them off at a friends house and asked them to baby sit. The women said they had no idea the children had been reported kidnapped," Parish said. 

Police said the kids were not harmed and the women will not be charged with a crime. Investigators are still looking for the suspect.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.