The Sandy Springs Fire Department said unattended cooking is the cause of an early morning apartment fire. The fire started at the Versailles Apartments on Roswell Road just before 6 a.m. Sunday. Fire investigators said a man left something cooking on the stove.
Families living at the apartments had a rude awakening. They woke up to someone pounding on the door.
"We were told to get out and evacuate because the fire was spreading. I got my family out of our house and other people as well," Patricia Rodriguez said.
Residents who were evacuated watched as firefighters went through the apartments. They recalled the frightening moments when they learned the building was on fire.
"The whole back side of this building was in flames. I have never seen a fire erupt so quickly like this," Joey Sloan said.
Fire investigators believe the fire started in a ground floor unit. Officials said a 21-year-old man left something cooking on the stove. That resulted in a loss of four apartments, with four more affected. Ten families in all were displaced.
Some of the youngest affected by the fire said they'll never forget seeing the flames.
"They just broke the window and fire just came in and we were so scared," Angie Pineda said.
She's thankful no one was seriously hurt and that the fire department arrived quickly.
"I say thank you to them and everyone else," Pineda said.
Many of the families did not have renters insurance. The Red Cross is helping them with a place to stay, as well as with clothing.
There are 10 adults and 6 children receiving assistance.
Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today. ‘Exasperated' boy reacts to mom's pregnancy "What were you thinking? This makes no sense… This is exasperating!" AMore >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today.More >