Chimney fire displaces Lilburn couple - CBS46 News

Chimney fire displaces Lilburn couple

Posted: Updated:
LILBURN, GA (CBS46) -

Gwinnett County firefighters believe a spark that escaped from a crack in a chimney might be what caused a fire that damaged a home in Lilburn early Monday morning.

It was just before 1:30 a.m. when the man and woman who live at the home on Park Forest Drive near Lilburn woke up and realized their house was on fire.

"They were both out when the fire department arrived," said Capt. Tommy Rutledge. "In fact, one of those occupants tried to put that fire out with a garden hose before the fire department arrived. Luckily, no one was hurt."

It didn't take firefighters long to figure out the source of the fire.

"We believe this fire to have started in the fireplace area," Rutledge said. "The occupants did say they had a fire burning in the fireplace earlier in the night. The fire was concentrated in that area."

The water damage was also significant, Rutledge said, adding that the incident should serve as a reminder.

"Right now is the time of year really that firefighters suggest you checking the fireplace, making sure that you have it serviced by a professional before you burn a fire. And keep an eye on that fire, even through the night," he said.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.