Family displaced after candle ignites Gwinnett County house fire - CBS46 News

Family displaced after candle ignites Gwinnett County house fire

Posted: Updated:
Mark Melvin/CBS Atlanta- Gwinnett County fire crews work to put out an early morning house fire. Mark Melvin/CBS Atlanta- Gwinnett County fire crews work to put out an early morning house fire.
GWINNETT COUNTY, GA (CBS46) -

A Gwinnett County family escaped injury but is looking for a place to stay Tuesday after an early morning fire severely damaged their home.

Lieutenant Colin Rhoden said firefighters the fire was set accidentally by a candle left unattended in a bedroom.

Crews arrived at the Eagle Summit Court home just after 4 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the upper level of the two story house.  Firefighters were forced to fight the fire from the outside due to high heat conditions, according to Rhoden.

Two adults and a child were able to get out of the home on their own. Rhoden said a resident told investigators the fire started when the flame of a candle spread to room furnishings.

That resident had a minor burn to the hand from trying to extinguish the fire. They were treated at the scene. There were no other injuries reported.

Rhoden said the home sustained heavy structural damage to the second floor and roof.

 

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.