Victims of house fire say smoke detectors saved their lives - CBS46 News

Victims of house fire say smoke detectors saved their lives

Posted: Updated:
LOCUST GROVE, GA (CBS46) -

A Locust Grove family is crediting their smoke detector in saving their lives.

Kathy Hurley says she's lucky to be alive. She says she can't believe she, along with her sons and twin 5-year-old granddaughters made it out of their burning home early Thursday morning.

"It was so fast we didn't have time to even try and do anything," said Hurley.

It all started when the home's dryer caught fire. The Hurley's say smoke detectors saved them.

"Smoke detectors woke me up immediately. I thought maybe it was just some cooking in the kitchen or something, but I quickly found out it wasn't," said Richard Hurley, Kathy Hurley's son.

"Everybody started scrambling around trying to look to see where it was coming from and they were all out in the hallway and I looked into the bathroom and went in there, but it was in the hallway so I looked into the laundry room door and smoke just poured out," said Kathy Hurley.

Everyone made it out safely, but the family lost a lot.

"The beds, the refrigerator, the washer, dryer, desk, TV and stuff like that - anything you need to run a household," said Kathy Hurley.

Still the Hurley's are thankful for what they do have.

"There is nothing more important than family. There are all kinds of things in the house but it's just stuff," said Richard Hurley.

"I am thankful that everybody made it out alive. I can't imagine my life without them," said Kathy Hurley.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000- 2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.