Clayton County officer dies after being shot in line of duty - CBS46 News

Clayton County officer dies after being shot in line of duty

Posted: Updated:
Ofc. Sean Callahan Ofc. Sean Callahan

A Clayton County police officer has died in the line of duty after being shot twice on Monday afternoon.

Police identified the officer as Sean Callahan, 24, who has only been with the Clayton County Police Department for four months.

It all started with a domestic dispute between Tremaine Lynn Lebis, 42, and Lisa Lebis, 41, at Motel 6 on Davidson Parkway in Stockbridge on Monday afternoon.

As police took the couple into custody, Tremaine Lebis began fighting with police, according to Clayton County police Lt. Chris Windley.

Tremaine Lebis was able to get away from the officers and ran around the building. He began shooting at the officers and they shot back, killing him, according to Windley.

During the gunfire, Callahan was shot twice in the head. He was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where police said he died early Tuesday morning.

Clayton County Police Lieutenant Chris Windley released a statement. It reads, in part:

"A police officer is a job that only a few people have the mental and physical ability to perform. For those few men and women that do have those abilities, it is an honor to be able to put on that uniform. Our job as police officers is to protect and serve. Our job requires us to run to face the danger, no matter what the circumstances. We don't do this job to be seen, we do this job to protect our nation. We do this job because it is something that we love to do. Officer Sean Louis Callahan joined the Clayton County Police Department because he wanted to do something that he loved. Please pray for the Callahan Family, the Clayton County Police Department Family, and the Clayton County Community as we endure the loss of a fallen comrade."

This is the second Clayton County police officer injured on duty in the past week.

Lisa Lebis was arrested and charged with obstruction and simple battery.

On Tuesday, a judge granted her a $17,500 bond.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.