Atlanta man tied up during overnight home invasion - CBS46 News

Atlanta man tied up during overnight home invasion

Posted: Updated:
Mark Melvin/CBS Atlanta- A man was tied up and robbed at his northwest Atlanta home. Mark Melvin/CBS Atlanta- A man was tied up and robbed at his northwest Atlanta home.

Home invaders apparently got the wrong address when they forced their way into a northwest Atlanta home early Monday morning, tied up the man who lives there and robbed the place, according to Atlanta police.

The victim called 911 at about 2:40 a.m.  He said four or five men - at least one of them armed with a handgun - had ransacked his home on Whitaker Circle, just off Joseph E. Boone Boulevard.

He told police that the day before the incident, a man driving a dark-colored Lincoln Navigator came to the house and asked if certain people still lived at the home. The resident told the man that he had just moved to the home and that he did not know the person, police said.

The victim told police a similar thing happened several hours before the home invasion. He said this time, four men in a Honda Accord came by the house requesting the same information.

At approximately 1:50 a.m. Monday, the victim answered a knock at the door, police said. He told detectives that when he cracked open the door, a man with a pistol forced his way into the house and forced the victim to the floor. Another man entered, police said, and placed a hoodie over the victim's face and tied him up with shoe laces and speaker wire.

At some point, police said, several other men entered the house. They asked the victim where the drugs and weapons were, threatening to kill him if he didn't tell them, police said.

Neighbor Eugene Johnson told CBS Atlanta News that he heard some unusual sounds coming from the home overnight.

"I just heard somebody hollering at each other or something like that, like they was arguing or hollering," he said.

Johnson said he looked out the window, but didn't see anything unusual, so he went back to bed. Then a few minutes later, he heard more yelling.

"I looked out the window. It was a van over there," he said. "But I didn't see anyone."

Johnson said he did not call police.

Police said the group got away with two flat-screen televisions and a computer. Officers have not released any information on possible suspects.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.