Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.
Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro. One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.
Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.
The cause hasn't been determined. But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Thursday, March 27 2014 8:56 PM EDT2014-03-28 00:56:41 GMT
A breathtaking, oceanfront mansion on the Big Island has a new owner. The 9-plus acre "Waterfalling Estate" property sits on a cliff along the Hamakua Coast. It is 8,100 square feet with five bedroomsMore >
A breathtaking, oceanfront mansion on the Big Island has a new owner.More >