Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home - CBS46 News

Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home

Posted: Updated:
WAYNESBORO, GA (AP) -

Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.

Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro. One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.

Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.

The cause hasn't been determined. But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000- 2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.