Health officials at Northern Arizona University say they're working to identify students who may have had contact with an 18-year-old student with bacterial meningitis.
A Coconino County Public Health Services District spokesperson said the student was living in a campus hall and was taken to Mercy Gilbert Medical Center where the meningitis was confirmed.
Health officials say meningitis is an infection of the spinal cord fluid and the fluid that surrounds the brain. It can only be spread by direct contact.
"We are identifying individuals who may have had close contact with the student, and they are receiving treatment with antibiotics as a precautionary measure," said Beth Applebee, executive director of NAU's Campus Health Services.
Meningitis symptoms are similar to the flu, including a high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, rash, nausea and vomiting, making it difficult to diagnose.
The last case of meningitis at NAU was in 2007.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >
Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:03 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:03:14 GMT
Tests of mosquitoes in four Fulton County neighborhoods have tested positive for the West Nile Virus.The positive samples came from the following areas:Grove Park on Hortense Pl.Midtown on the BeltlineMore >
Tests of mosquitoes in four Fulton County neighborhoods have tested positive for the West Nile Virus.More >