East Point firefighters pass out CO detectors - CBS46 News

East Point firefighters pass out CO detectors after poisonous gas kills 2

Posted: Updated:
EAST POINT, GA (CBS46) -

Tiffany Hudson doesn't know Sedrick  Bailem, 40, or his 11-year-old son, Tre, but as a parent, Hudson said she can relate to the pain of losing loved ones.

"To hear this, it just really touched me because I have two young kids. It's just really sad, so we got a teddy bear and brought it to their house," said Hudson.

The memorial of balloons and stuffed bears is growing in front of Bailem's home on Graywall Street in East Point.

Police said he and his son died of carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday. The deadly gas also sent his 13-year-old son, Sedrick Jr., and his 1-year-old daughter, Shanice, to the hospital.

"We turned on the news and saw it. I was very shocked that something this close happened. It's just sad," said Hudson.

According to Bailem's family, his utilities were cut off on Monday because he owed about $2,000. He used a generator, which authorities said was in the basement, to heat his home.

"You should never have a situation where you would bring a generator inside of the home," said East Point Fire Chief Rosemary Cloud. "These people were just trying to stay warm."

The East Point Fire Department is using this situation to educate people and help protect them from carbon monoxide poisoning. They canvassed Bailem's neighborhood Thursday and gave people CO detectors.

"Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. It doesn't produce anything visual. It just lulls you into a sleep, so it's extremely dangerous," said Cloud.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.