Hazmat crews guide people out of the aquatic center after air quality concerns. (Source: Charlie Huszty
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
Nearly a thousand people were evacuated during a state swim meet at the Chatham County Aquatic Center Saturday afternoon.
Hazmat responded around 12:30 p.m. after it was reported that a strong chemical smell was causing people's eyes to burn. Crews tested for high chlorine levels but determined the building was safe.
"We went in and did our systematic air quality checks, water quality check, and a comprehensive check of the entire facility. No elevated levels of anything were found," said Savannah Fire Public Information Officer Mark Kelly.
The aquatic center was only closed for about an hour and reopened at 1:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today. ‘Exasperated' boy reacts to mom's pregnancy "What were you thinking? This makes no sense… This is exasperating!" AMore >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today.More >