Family tries to come to terms with loss of child - CBS46 News

Family tries to come to terms with loss of child as sister gets out of hospital

Posted: Updated:
KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) -

A KCK family is still struggling to come to terms with the loss of their child in a house fire.

The fire broke out early Sunday morning at the 4600 block of Greeley Avenue. Sh'mere, 4, died from smoke inhalation, and her 7-year-old sister was seriously injured while trying to save her.

Their parents spoke exclusively to KCTV5 just moments after their oldest daughter was discharged from the hospital. The parents said their daughter suffered internal injuries from the smoke and was treated at the University of Kansas Medical Center. While dealing with recovering from her injuries, she is also trying to comprehend the loss of her younger sister.

"Where is your sister?" Larry Green, the girls' father, said.

"Right there," Shabrielle Jackson answered as she pointed to her heart.

Shabrielle, 7, points to her heart in remembrance of her sister and playmate, tragically killed in the Sunday morning house fire.

While she currently seems at peace with her loss, her mother is still working through her grief.

"Every day it's becoming real. You know what I'm saying? Every day I wake up and I don't have my daughter. It's hard," Shana Jackson said.

Jackson was at work Sunday morning when she got the call no parent ever wants to receive. Their home went up in smoke, claiming the life of Sh'mere. The girls were with their maternal grandmother. The cause of the fire has been listed as accidental.

Larry Green learned the devastating news from his eldest daughter.

"She grabbed her sister's hand, but she lost her sister's hand in the midst of the fire. Once she got outside, she realized her sister wasn't with her and she tried to go back in," Green said.

Shabrielle suffered internal burns from inhaling the smoke. She spent three days at the University of Kansas Medical Center's burn unit as she was treated for her injuries. Wednesday, she was discharged.

"She was eating. She was off her IVs. Everything was great. That uplifted my spirits, don't get me wrong, but at the same time, I'm still going through what I'm going to go through," Jackson said.

And now the family says this is where their real healing begins.

"We're just going to do a lot of counseling, a lot of one-on-one time. It's just me and her right now. We were three and now we're two," the mother said.

The parents said they are grateful for the help they received from the hospital and from the firefighter who was injured pulling the daughter they lost out of the burning home.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.