Chimney sweep shares fireplace safety - CBS46 News

Chimney sweep shares fireplace safety

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA (CBS46) -

A local family of six was burned out of their home Friday morning by a fire that inspectors said started near the fireplace.

Given the drop in temperatures, CBS Atlanta News followed a chimney sweep on a call today to help show homeowners stay safe when working the fireplace.

Michael Wilkinson with Chimney Mischief said your own sense of smell can be helpful in catching a potential problem with your fireplace.

Wilkinson said an annual fireplace and chimney inspection are important when it comes to catching potential problems.

"Especially for older homes. The mortar work tends to erode over time. Eventually it will start to let the embers and sparks out of the fireplace through the mortar," said Wilkinson.

He added that no matter if your home is older or a newer one problems can still pop up. And that's where you need to trust your nose because nose really does know best.

"When it's very humid or a lot of moisture in the air to ten to get an odor out of the chimney, it's an indicator that you need to have it looked at for a cleaning and inspection," said Wilkinson.

Another tip in spotting a potential problem is to look up to make sure you have a chimney cap. It will help keep excess water out and cut down on erosion.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.