Clayton Co. firefighters warn of Christmas tree fire danger - CBS46 News

Clayton Co. firefighters warn of added fire danger with Christmas trees

Posted: Updated:

The Clayton County Fire Department put on a demonstration Monday to remind people just how easily their Christmas tree can catch fire. One of the most common contributing factors, according to Chief Landry Merkison, is an old, faulty Christmas tree light set.

"If you have some of the older lights like many of us do, you want to make sure the condition of the wiring is good and that you haven't overloaded the circuits that are running your tree," said Merkison.

His department demonstrated by prompting a light set on a Christmas tree to spark, thereby causing a full-blown fire. Within two minutes, the tree was a smoldering remnant of its former self.

"It's all about the lights and the dryness of the tree," he said. "After the excitement of Christmas is all over, we forget to keep watering the tree and keep an eye on it. So as it starts to dry out, that's when the danger level really goes up."

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.