State's revamped severe-weather plan off to shaky start - CBS46 News

State's revamped severe-weather plan off to shaky start

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA (CBS46) -

Gov. Nathan Deal's plan to revamp how the state reacts to severe winter weather got off to a shaky start.

The Georgia Department of Transportation early Thursday morning posted message boards over metro-Atlanta interstates, warning drivers of winter storm watch.

The National Weather Service, however, said it never issued a watch.

The Governor formed a severe weather task force to correct what went wrong during last month's winter storm when thousands of drivers were stranded on frozen roads.

But Thursday's mix-up and the recent frigid fiasco led CBS Atlanta to ask the Governor if the state can handle another winter crisis.

When asked if the task force will be ready, the Governor responded, "the command center was opened this morning. We have all the agencies represented there now."

CBS Atlanta also asked the governor if Thursday's highway-sign mix-up shows a lack of preparation.

"I don't know if that's the case. The Department of Transportation apparently did put up those signs this morning, but they took them down because the weather did not justify that," Deal responded.

Several agencies, including, Georgia State Patrol and the department of transportation are keeping a close watch in the state's severe weather command center housed at the Georgia Emergency Management Agency.

"We're monitoring conditions to see if there are changes in the predictions. Right now, it does not appear to be serious enough to declare an emergency.

"The GEMA director has been in consultation with all the meteorologists on the task force. They're on standby," Deal said.

Copyright 2014 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000-2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.