Atlanta investigators on Thursday released the 911 calls from a Georgia Tech grad student burned inside his Midtown apartment.
Police say Saamer Akshabi is an international grad student from Iran studying internet technology. On Tuesday, he sustained third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body when a Molotov cocktail exploded in his apartment on 10th Street near Piedmont Park.
Akshabi's neighbor called 911 telling the operator he saw a fire and a lot of smoke.
"Oh my God, he's burned up real bad," the caller said about Akshabi to the operator. "We need an ambulance and we need something real quick, somebody here real fast."
Once inside Akshabi's apartment, firefighters found several bottles full of gasoline. That's when they called police and officials from the Department of Homeland Security.
Police said the case remains under investigation.
Copyright 2014 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, April 18 2014 6:10 PM EDT2014-04-18 22:10:07 GMT
Two former employees at the Starlight Drive-In in DeKalb County have accused the general manager of the business of racism. "I have dealt with racism before. I have lived in New York and Detroit but nothingMore >
Two former employees at the Starlight Drive-In in DeKalb County have accused the general manager of racism. More >
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >