Boston continued to put the finishing touches on its marathon security Monday following last year's deadly bombings.
Officials said more runners and spectators have been making their way to the city following the pressure cooker explosions that left three dead and hundreds more injured.
They expect 36,000 runners to take part. That's about 10,000 more than last year.
"It's really like a big family of runners, everybody cheers for you," said West Hartford runner Christine Brooks. "They care for you."
Brooks, who was close to the second explosion last year, said she's been looking forward to this year's race.
She wasn't the only one.
New Britain Police Chief James Wardwell planned to run his 22nd Boston Marathon. He said it would feel wrong not to return.
"I think it's a proper tribute to those who were killed or injured," Wardwell said. "It's for the athletes to return to the starting line and retake that course.
Several security measures were in place for Monday.
Police said they've doubled the amount of officers on the streets to 3,600. New rules are also in place, including no signs or banners bigger than 11 inches by 17 inches. They were also not allowing backpacks.
Runners who have not registered cannot join the race, according to police.
"I will say that we've tried to strike a balance between enhanced security and preserving the family feel of this day," Gov. Deval Patrick said.
Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today. ‘Exasperated' boy reacts to mom's pregnancy "What were you thinking? This makes no sense… This is exasperating!" AMore >
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today.More >
Monday, September 1 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-09-01 15:34:53 GMT
Six people were injured at a Labor Day weekend house party in Ellenwood, following the collapse of a deck. The DeKalb County Fire Department said four of those victims had to be taken to nearby hospitals,More >
Six people were injured at a Labor Day weekend house party in Ellenwood, following the collapse of a deck.More >