A Pooler man says his two Labrador retrievers saved his life then lost their own in a fire early Saturday morning.
Pooler firefighters say the back of a house on White Dogwood Lane caught fire around 3 a.m.
The owner says he and his wife are lucky to be alive, but they are grieving for their dogs.
The owner, Michael Matsko, tells WTOC he woke up to his two dogs, Max and Jack, barking. That is when realized his house was on fire. He and his wife were able to get out safely, but he says the dogs ran and hid under a bed. Firefighters found them and administered CPR for about ten minutes, trying to revive them.
"They are a part of a family for most people, so we try to help and bring them back," said Chief Wade Simmons. "We have masks that are specially designed for dogs. We tried to use those, but they had been in with all the smoke, fire and heat. We just weren't able to make any progress and save them."
Chief Simmons says the dogs likely died of smoke inhalation. The house is not a total loss. They do not believe the fire is suspicious, but they are bringing in the State Fire Marshal on Monday to help determine a cause.
Tuesday, April 20 2010 11:21 PM EDT2010-04-21 03:21:00 GMT
31 people are in trouble with the law after a three day prostitution sting in Richmond. Police told NBC12 they targeted specific areas where residents and business owners complained about the illegal activity.More >