Kitchen fire displaces northwest side couple - CBS46 News

Kitchen fire displaces northwest side couple

Posted: Updated:
(Source: NWFD) (Source: NWFD)
(Source: NWFD) (Source: NWFD)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A northwest side couple, ages 68 and 60, was displaced by a fire on Tuesday afternoon.

Northwest Fire District crews responded to the fire around 4 p.m. in the 11,400 block of North Vista Ranch Place, near Thornydale and Tangerine roads.

The couple reportedly saw flames coming from the microwave oven and left the home unharmed, along with a neighbor who was over for dinner.

Fire crews controlled the fire within about nine minutes. They said the residential sprinkler head that automatically turned on in the kitchen helped keep the flames from spreading.

Northwest Fire investigators determined the fire started by a mechanical failure with the microwave. The extent of damages was estimated to be about $10,000.

Fire crews remind the public that older homes can be retrofitted with residential sprinkler systems for extra safety, and residents should always have a fire extinguisher readily available.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow
CBS Atlanta
Powered by WorldNow
All content © 2000- 2014 WorldNow and WGCL-TV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.