Bullet grazes man's head protecting grandson during carjacking - CBS46 News

Bullet grazes man's head protecting grandson during attempted carjacking

Posted: Updated:
Kelvin Brown, Justin Williams Kelvin Brown, Justin Williams

A bullet grazed a man's head while he was trying to protect his grandson during an attempted carjacking. When the thieves failed, police said they stole an AT&T van and led police on a 20-mile chase.

Luther Tookes was shot on the top of the head, in his driveway, after two armed gunman tried to box him in and steal his car.

CBS46's Mike Paluska talked to Tookes outside his Lithonia home.  He had just arrived from the hospital and still had blood on his glasses, and a bandage on his arm where doctors gave him an IV.

"I didn't know if they were going to let me and my grandson live," Tookes said.  "I didn't want to take no chances."

Tookes said he was bringing his grandson Deshon, 9, home from school like he always does when he noticed two men in a sedan pull up behind him.  Tookes turned around and saw one of the men pull out a gun.

"I told my grandson get down," Tookes said.  "I had my gun in my glove compartment but I couldn't get it there, cause he walked on me too fast."

Tookes a Vietnam veteran said he didn't know what was going to happen so he backed his car into their sedan.  That is when bullets started flying.

"I rammed their car, and then I pulled up in the grass back there and took out my gun and shot at him a couple of times, and they started running and that was it," Tookes said.

The shooting happened in a cul-de-sac in a quiet Lithonia neighborhood on the 5200 block of Glencroft Place.

The men fled on foot down the street where an AT&Worker was sitting in his van.  The two men, identified as Kelvin Brown, 23, and Justin Williams, 25, pulled him out of the car and took off. The worker was injured during the attack and was taken to the hospital with a leg injury.

DeKalb County police said the men led police on a 20 mile chase. At one point, on Memorial Drive, Williams jumped out of the van when it slowed down and was arrested. 

Brown continued on I-285 North. Nearly a dozen police officers boxed the suspect in and were able to bring the van to a stop near Chamblee Tucker Road. Brown was taken into custody after police officers pulled him out of the van during the middle of rush hour traffic.

"It was real close," Tookes said when talking about the bullet that grazed his head. "I got four staples."

Tookes said he didn't want anything to happen to his grandson and was willing to do whatever it took to protect him.

Brown is charged with armed robbery, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of aggravated assault on a police officer. Williams is charged with armed robbery and three counts of aggravated assault.

Tookes son-in-law said he is grateful for grandpa's quick thinking that saved his son's life. 

"He is ex Vietnam vet so I feel like the military training kicked in," Brandon Stewart said. "I feel like he saved my son's life, and his it worked out for the best for everyone."

Deshon's mom Nicole Stewart said she is still in shock after seeing so many holes in her father's SUV.

"I just can't believe my father and son were in that car," Nicole Stewart said.

Copyright 2014 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.