Georgia Power blames squirrel for nearly burning down a house - CBS46 News

Georgia Power blames squirrel for nearly burning down a house

Posted: Updated:
unbraided wires are more vulnerable to problems (WGCL) unbraided wires are more vulnerable to problems (WGCL)

India Read was faced with an issue she never knew could happen in her DeKalb County home.

It was a normal Wednesday morning when she turned on some appliances in her kitchen, but what happened next was not so normal.

"It did it's little heating thing, and it went into hieroglyphics."

The coffee maker was going nuts, but the problem, she soon learned, was not contained to any one room of the house.

"The dog started barking and I smelled something. Then I went into the bedroom, and the surge protector was literally jumping. It was like it was possessed. Sparks and smoke were coming out of it, so I quickly unplugged it."

She turned off electricity to the entire house and called Georgia Power. Technicians investigated the problem and gave their diagnosis: the wire leading from the street to her house was tampered with.  More specifically, it was chewed, by some type of ravenous rodent- possibly a squirrel.

Read told her neighbors the story and learned the person living next door experienced the same issue days earlier. A serial chewer must have also gotten to his wires.

Georgia Power fixed the lines, changing out the three separated lines with braided wires, which should better prevent the problem, but it's still not a guarantee.

India Read is just glad she was home to see what was happening, so she could protect her home and her dogs.

"They are my number one concern, those are my family."

Copyright 2017 Meredith Corporation (WGCL-TV) All rights reserved.