Firefighter injured battling blaze in Atlanta - CBS46 News

Firefighter injured battling blaze in Atlanta

Posted: Updated:
Source: WGCL Source: WGCL
ATLANTA (CBS46) -

A firefighter battling a blaze in Atlanta was hospitalized after sustaining an injury to his knee.

The fire started around 2:30 a.m. at a home on the 1100 block of Benteen Avenue in southeast Atlanta.

The firefighter was taken to an area hospital by ambulance and is expected to be okay.

Atlanta Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Stephen Hill tells CBS46 that crews were inside the home positioning a hose ladder to reach the flames and that's when the firefighter fell into the hole and injured his knee.

The owner of the home tells CBS46 that the power was cut off a couple of weeks ago and he was using candles for light. He says he sat the lit candle on a window sill and went to the bathroom. The candle fell off the window sill and set fire to the carpet.

Damage estimates to the home weren't immediately available.

Stay with CBS46 News for updates.

Copyright 2017 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Connect with CBS46