GBI releases new information after Georgia Tech student shot, ki - CBS46 News

GBI releases new information after Georgia Tech student shot, killed by officer

Posted: Updated:
Source: WGCL Source: WGCL
Source: WGCL Source: WGCL
Source: WGCL Source: WGCL
Source: WGCL Source: WGCL

#Update: A new report from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation states that Scout Schultz was the one that made the 911 call to Georgia Tech Police alerting them of a suspicious person on campus. During the call, Schultz described the person as a white male with long blond hair, white t-shirt and blue jeans who is possible intoxicated, holding a knife and possibly armed with a gun on his hip. 

Investigators also found a total of three suicide notes located in Schultz's dormitory room. A multi-purpose tool containing a knife was recovered from the scene. No firearms were recovered. 

The ACLU issued the following statement about the shooting event:

The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia today issued a statement regarding the shooting death of Georgia Tech student Scout Schultz by campus police. Schultz, a computer engineering major, was president of the school’s Pride Alliance and identified as non-binary.

ACLU of Georgia Executive Director Andrea Young had this reaction:

“This tragedy on a university campus creates a crisis of trust for Georgia families,” stated Andrea Young, executive director of the ACLU of Georgia. “It is essential that universities require crisis intervention training for their police.”

A 21-year-old Georgia Tech student was shot and killed by a Georgia Tech police officer who was later identified as Officer Tyler Beck late Saturday.

The incident occurred after 11 p.m. in the 500 block of Eighth Street NW, just outside a campus dorm.

According to a spokesperson with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia Tech Police Department received a 911 call about a person with a knife and gun around 11:17 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found Scout Schultz, who had a knife, according to the GBI spokesperson.

The GBI spokesperson says officers repeatedly tried to talk with Schultz, who was described by police as not being cooperative or complying with demands from officers.

The GBI spokesperson says after Schultz advanced on the officers with the knife, Schultz was shot by one officer.

Schultz was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta and later died.

The GBI spokesperson says no officers were injured in the incident, which they also say they're investigating independently of the Georgia Tech Police Department.

During the incident, Georgia Tech sent a tweet out alerting students to seek shelter. After the initial alert, another tweet was sent by the school saying there was no longer a threat on campus. 

Schultz was a fourth-year engineering major and the president of the Campus Pride Alliance. Schultz self-identified as nonbinary, meaning neither male or female.

Meanwhile, the family of Schultz has hired an attorney. L. Chris Stewart will represent the family and claims that police failed to use non-lethal force to resolve the encounter.

CBS46 briefly talked with Schultz's parents outside their home in Lilburn.

"We contacted a lawyer that specializes in police shootings and all we can say right now is that we will make a statement tomorrow (Monday)," said Lynne Schultz.

"I mean, we're still gathering facts. We don't really know what happened," said Bill Schultz.

A vigil is planned for Monday evening.

Copyright 2017 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Connect with CBS46