Police search for armed man who dodged deputy's bullet - CBS46 News

Police search for armed man who dodged deputy's bullet

Posted: Updated:

The search continues Friday for an armed man who apparently dodged a sheriff's deputy's gunfire as the deputy intervened in the man's fight with his girlfriend.

The situation began at about 8:30 a.m. Thursday when someone called 911 to report a fight between a man and his girlfriend at the intersection of Joseph E. Boone and Joseph E Lowery boulevards. The woman had jumped out of her boyfriend's car and had flagged down a random driver, jumping into his car, saying her boyfriend had a gun and was trying to kill her.

According to Atlanta police, the boyfriend followed behind in a gold-colored Nissan Altima. When the vehicles reached Northside Drive, they encountered an off-duty Fulton County Sheriff's deputy who was in his patrol car.

Nelly Miles, a spokeswoman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, said preliminary information shows that when the deputy approached the Nissan, the driver produced a weapon. The deputy told agents he drew his own weapon and issued multiple orders for the man to drop his gun. The man, still inside the Nissan Altima, did not follow the deputy's orders, causing the deputy to fire his service weapon, Miles said.

The deputy was not able to determine whether a bullet from his service weapon struck the man. The man drove off and the deputy attempted to follow him.

Eventually, the deputy spotted the gold Nissan a few blocks away, parked in front of a convenience store on Burbank Drive.

CBS46 News obtained surveillance video that shows a man -- who does not appear to be injured -- getting out of the Nissan and casually walking into the store. The video then shows a deputy's cruiser pulling in behind the Nissan, blocking it in. The man then walks out of the store. He apparently sees the deputy and walks the other way, disappearing out of sight.

Read more:

Police: Woman flees from car after fight with boyfriend

Anthony Welch, a regular customer at the convenience store, witnessed the police activity that followed. 

“They had the police everywhere doing their search," said Anthony Welch. "They had guns out, real big guns.”

The suspect's girlfriend was taken to the hospital with a head injury. She is expected to recover. 

Investigators have not released the name of suspect who remains on the loose.

Copyright 2017 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Connect with CBS46