Geoffrey Rush pulls out of Australian stage production - CBS46 News

Geoffrey Rush pulls out of Australian stage production

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File). FILE - In this Feb. 11, 2017, file photo, Australian actor Geoffrey Rush poses with his Berlinale Camera Award which he received prior to the screening of the film "Final Portrait" at the 2017 Berlinale Film Festival in B... (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File). FILE - In this Feb. 11, 2017, file photo, Australian actor Geoffrey Rush poses with his Berlinale Camera Award which he received prior to the screening of the film "Final Portrait" at the 2017 Berlinale Film Festival in B...
  • NationalMore>>

  • NRA, others sue Seattle over gun-storage law

    NRA, others sue Seattle over gun-storage law

    Friday, July 20 2018 9:50 PM EDT2018-07-21 01:50:13 GMT
    The National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation and two Seattle residents are suing the city over its new gun-safety law.More >
    The National Rifle Association, Second Amendment Foundation and two Seattle residents are suing the city over its new gun-safety law.More >
  • Tears, then giggles: Honduran baby is back in parents' arms

    Tears, then giggles: Honduran baby is back in parents' arms

    Friday, July 20 2018 9:50 PM EDT2018-07-21 01:50:08 GMT
    (AP Photo/Esteban Felix). In this July 18, 2018 photo, Rolando Bueso Castillo and his wife Adalicia Montecinos, stand in their home in La Libertad, Honduras. It's been five months since they have seen their infant son Johan Bueso Castillo who was separ...(AP Photo/Esteban Felix). In this July 18, 2018 photo, Rolando Bueso Castillo and his wife Adalicia Montecinos, stand in their home in La Libertad, Honduras. It's been five months since they have seen their infant son Johan Bueso Castillo who was separ...
    A Honduran man who was separated from his baby son at the Texas border and then deported without him soon will hold the boy again.More >
    A Honduran man who was separated from his baby son at the Texas border and then deported without him soon will hold the boy again.More >
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    Friday, July 20 2018 9:49 PM EDT2018-07-21 01:49:59 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ronda Churchill, File). FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, an American flag waves near a police barricade on the Las Vegas Strip with the MGM Grand hotel and casino in the background after a mass shooting in Las Vegas. The unprecedented ...(AP Photo/Ronda Churchill, File). FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, an American flag waves near a police barricade on the Las Vegas Strip with the MGM Grand hotel and casino in the background after a mass shooting in Las Vegas. The unprecedented ...
    The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas relies on an obscure U.S. law never tested in court.More >
    The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas relies on an obscure U.S. law never tested in court.More >

By ROD McGUIRK
Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush has pulled out of Shakespeare stage production in Australia as he sues a Sydney newspaper for defamation.

Melbourne Theatre Company Artistic Director Brett Sheehy said he received confirmation Monday of Rush's withdrawal from the role of Malvolio in a seven-week season of "Twelfth Night" that begins on Nov. 12.

Rush cited his current circumstances and medical advice for having to withdraw. "I do so with the greatest regret. I know that I would not be able to provide the necessary creative spirit and the professional stamina required," Rush said in the statement received by the artistic director.

Sheehy said the company respected Rush's decision and the resulting casting decisions would be made "in due course."

The Australian actor is suing The Daily Telegraph for defamation over articles published in December that accused him of inappropriate behavior toward actress Eryn Jean Norvill during the Sydney Theatre Company's production of "King Lear" in 2015.

Rush has denied the allegation. He argues that the articles portray him as a pervert and sexual predator. Details of the alleged behavior remain vague.

His lawyer Nicholas Pullen told the Australian Federal Court in Sydney in April in an affidavit that Rush had become virtually housebound, barely eats and wakes each morning with a "terrible sense of dread" since the articles were published.

Rush "suffers lack of sleep and anxiety requiring medication" and believes his worth to the entertainment industry "is now irreparably damaged," his lawyer wrote.

Rush met with the newspaper's lawyers in a confidential mediation hearing in Sydney last week that suggests the case might soon be settled.

Rush was to appear in "Twelfth Night" with actress Christie Whelan Browne playing Olivia. Whelan Browne is being sued in the New South Wales state Supreme Court by actor and musician Craig McLachlan for defamation.

McLachlan, who is a household name in Australia, left a stage show and a TV series he was to star in was canceled after Whelan Browne and two other actresses - Angela Scundi and Erika Heynatz - accused him of indecent assault, sexual harassment and bullying during a 2014 production of "The Rocky Horror Show" in Melbourne.

McLachlan denies the allegations.

Rush won the 1997 best actor Academy Award for "Shine" and has three other Oscar nominations. He is perhaps best known as Captain Barbossa in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.