Atlanta Police announce arrest in murder of security guard on Cleveland Avenue
ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Atlanta Police announced an arrest in the murder of a security guard during a press conference on Thursday.
Stanley Henderson, 30, is charged with one count of murder and two counts of aggravated assault for the killing of 51-year-old Anthony Frazier.
On Wednesday, APD received a Crime Stoppers tip that led officers to a wooded area near the scene of Monday night’s crime. They found Henderson who allegedly tried run but was arrested. Investigators said Henderson was living in a homeless camp and that they were able to collect potential evidence linking him to Frazier’s murder.
Investigators said the video of the crime was instrumental in leading them to the suspect.
“It was a video in which we receive multiple tips, and just showed the vital nature of our Crime Stoppers program,” said Lt. Ralph Woolfolk.
Police continue to look the for four other people seen during and after Frazier was killed. They could face charges of tampering with evidence and theft by taking, among others.
Investigators said Henderson has an extensive criminal history including battery, obstruction and aggravated assault. His bond has been denied. At least, one officer suffered a knee injury during the pursuit of Henderson.
Nine security guards have been injured or killed in the metro Atlanta area in 2021. They include:
APRIL 18, 2022
- Anthony Frazier, 51, was headed into work when he gunned down outside American Wing & Seafood in Southwest Atlanta on April 18, 2022. His phone, wallet and gun were also stolen.
FEB 19, 2022
- Henry Ashley, 24, was shot and killed when he intervened in an attempted burglary at the Courtesy Chrysler Dodge in Stonecrest on Feb. 19, 2022. A 16-year-old male was arrested and charged with Ashley’s murder.
FEB 2, 2022
- Tyshon Ross, 28, was shot and killed after he asked a patron to leave Encore Hookah and Bistro in downtown Atlanta on Feb 2, 2022. Damon Wilson is facing several charges in connection to Ross’ death.
DEC 4, 2021
- A security guard was one of three men and shot and injured near a lounge on Peters Street on Dec. 4, 2021. Nile Lewis, 25, and was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault
AUG 2, 2021
- A Brinks security was shot and injured during an armed robbery near a hospital in Holly Springs on Aug. 2, 2021. Glennis Harris, 28, was arrested and charged. Investigators were able to link him to an additional armed robbery of a security guard, who was uninjured.
JUNE 14, 2021
- Danny Jordan, 54, was shot and injured trying to save a clerk at Big Bear Market in Decatur on June 14, 2021. The clerk, Laquitta Willis, 41, asked a customer to adjust his mask. Investigators said the suspect, Victor Lee Tucker, 30, shot Willis. Jordan was injured during an exchange of gunfire. Tucker was arrested and charged.
JUNE 13, 2021
- A security guard was shot and injured after being held at gunpoint at Lenox Mall, at closing time, on June 13. Two teenagers were arrested and charged in the shooting.
APRIL 11, 2021
- Two security guards were shot and injured while working at Members Only Lounge in Atlanta on April 11. Investigators said the gunman was kicked out of the establishment, got in his car and shot at the guards as he drove off.
ORIGINAL STORY BELOW
The daughter of a slain security guard said she is forever changed by video that shows her father’s final moments.
Antonette Frazier told CBS46 she couldn’t sleep last night after watching a surveillance video that shows the moments before and immediate aftermath of Anthony Frazier’s murder Monday evening.
“I can’t get the images out of my head,” she said. “Oh my god, it changed me. They changed the way I feel. It changed the way I looked at things.”
In the video, you see her father get out of his vehicle at American Wings and Seafood on Cleveland Avenue. A man with a gun approaches from behind. Antonette said her father was shot in the back of the head. His wallet, phone and gun were also stolen.
“I just don’t understand how somebody could be so cold,” she said.
Police also want to talk to a man who appeared to have witnessed the shooting and three others who were later seen rummaging through something that appeared to have been picked off Frazier.
“We don’t know what their roles were or what they were going through at that particular time,” said Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant. “But just immediately taking a look at it is concerning.”
“It’s really unfortunate to watch that unfold,” said Page Pate, a criminal defense attorney at Pate, Johnson & Church.
CBS46 asked Pate if someone is legally obligated to help someone who has been injured. He said while Georgia’s Good Samaritan law offers protection for those who help render aid, it’s not required by law.
“If you simply see someone who’s been injured, even if you watch it happen, there is no affirmative duty to provide assistance in that situation,” he added.
Frazier’s daughter said she’s angry that no one tried to help her father.
“I’m angry at the people that stood by,” said Antonette. “My daddy was a good person. I’m angry and disgusted with the bystanders digging through his pockets.”
Frazier had been a security guard for less than a month. His daughter said her father was mild-mannered, enjoyed cooking and, most importantly, loved being a father to his three adult children.
“He was my best friend, and they took him away from me,” she said.
Wednesday afternoon, there was a large police presence surrounding the area of American Wings & Seafood. Witnesses told CBS46 that police chased a person into the woods near the business after they shot at officers. APD would not confirm if that incident is connected to the killing of Frazier.
Anyone with information on the identity of the people seen in the video should contact 911 or Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-TIPS (8477) or online at www.StopCrimeATL.com . Callers do not have to give their name or any identifying information to be eligible for the reward of up to $2000 for the arrest and indictment of the suspect.
Copyright 2022 WGCL. All rights reserved.