Disturbing new details emerge about death of girl starved, burned


A Gwinnett County couple charged in the killing of their 10-year-old daughter had a preliminary hearing before a judge Friday afternoon.

Emani Moss' body was found in a trash can at a Lawrenceville apartment complex Saturday.

Her father, Eman Moss, and stepmother, Tiffany Moss, are accused of starving the 10-year-old and then trying to conceal her death by burning her body in the trash can.

In court, Gwinnett County Police Detective Collin Flynn testified about the investigation and conversations he had with Eman Moss after his arrest. After multiple stories, Flynn said Eman Moss told him, "they put her in bed on Thursday and kept her there until the following Wednesday when she died and they didn't give her food and nourishment to survive during that seven-day period," Flynn testified.

Police believe Emani was dead for days before Eman Moss finally called police. He told investigators his wife wanted to get rid of Emani's body so they wouldn't go to jail.

"They both duct-taped the victim's body, arms to legs, to get her into the trash can easily. They loaded her in the trash can to try to find a place to burn the body. He said he loaded some charcoal into the trash can and attempted to burn the body. He said the body didn't burn like he thought it would, he thought it would burn to ashes but it didn't," Flynn testified.

Afterwards, Eman Moss told him he even went to work with the trash can in his vehicle. And finally they brought the trash can back to their apartment complex before Eman Moss called police.

"At one point in the interview, he leaned back in his chair out of the blue and said, 'I'm guilty. I killed my baby,'" Flynn said.

Flynn said there were two other children living in the home. He said Tiffany Moss brought them to her mother's house before turning herself in. They are said to be in good health.

CBS Atlanta obtained documents showing that the Department of Family and Children Services investigated at least six complaints about the family.

Several cases were closed after DFCS claimed they found no evidence to support the complaints.

Three months before Emani's death, the state got a tip that Emani was being starved, but state officials did not follow up because they said they didn't have a current address for the family.

Could DFCS officials have prevented Emani's death and should they be held partially responsible? Sound off on our Facebook page.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.