MILTON (CBS46)--A local high school teacher has died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least six more are recovering from exposure.

Milton police and fire officials responded to a carbon monoxide alarm call at the Wyndham Townhomes on Regatta Grove Thursday afternoon. According to the city's facebook page, at least seven people were found to have been exposed at the time. 

One of those people, Patricia Mann, reportedly died from the exposure. Mann was a social studies teacher at Cambridge High School. In a letter to parents, the school says it is offering support to students in the wake of the difficult news. 

A few of Mann’s former students huddled in her honor on Friday. They told CBS46 News though she’s gone, the affect Mann had on the lives of so many students will live on forever.

“She meant the world to all of us,” Lucy Dinardo told CBS46 News. 

“It’s almost like a haze, we just don’t, it just doesn’t seem real, sounds like you’re waiting for it to be like oh that’s not real,” Sarah Farker said.

“She almost provided like the fun oasis in an overwhelming sometimes scary please,” Sarah Muller said.

The situation is still under investigation, but officials say they believe the exposure at the townhomes was caused by an unoccupied vehicle left accidentally running in one of the townhome's garages.

Milton Fire units and the gas company determined it is safe for residents to return to their homes.

Copyright 2020 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.