- To opt-out of many third-party tracking technologies for interest-based advertising, follow the instructions here
- To opt-out of precise location tracking of your mobile device, follow the instructions here
- To opt-out of promotions sent by mail from third parties, click here.
- To opt-out of promotions sent by mail from Meredith Corporation, click here.
- To update or correct your information with Meredith, click here
Your California Privacy Rights
(As provided by California Civil Code Section 1798.83)
Children and Privacy
Meredith cares about protecting the privacy of children. We won’t knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to provide us any personally identifying information online. Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any personal information about themselves. If you’re under 13, please do not register for any of our services or provide us information about yourself.
What Information Do We Collect?
Meredith and our service providers collect a variety of information about you including:
- Information you choose to provide to us directly when using our Services and information about the computers and devices you use to access our services, including their location.
- Information about your browsing activity as you use our Services and interact with our content, email messages and advertising. Some information may be collected automatically through cookies, beacons and other tracking and personalization technologies.
- Information about the general location of your computer or device. With your prior consent, we may also collect or allow authorized service providers to collect information about your precise mobile device location, including when you interact directly with one of our mobile services and continuously over time while an application is not in use but is running in the background.
- Information about you or your household that we obtain from other sources where permitted by law.
How We Use the Information We Collect
- We and our service providers and provider partners use the information about you we or they collect for a variety purposes including to:
- Customize the content and advertising you see on our Services and other services and marketing channels and recognize you as a previous visitor, including for example, by pre-populating forms.
- Provide the services you request and improve these services.
- Tell you about offers we think you will value.
- Conduct market research and audience analysis
- Authenticate users and protect the security of our sites.
- For any other purpose described at the point of collection or with your consent.
How Do We Share Information?
- When we have obtained your consent.
- With business partners that co-sponsor promotions we offer or provide a tool or feature accessible through our Services.
- Within the family of Meredith sites and Services and with other Meredith businesses.
- With our service providers, select third-party advertisers and other companies involved in the delivery of the advertising you see online and offline.
- To protect or defend the rights of Meredith or our users.
- Together with other assets, if a Meredith website or Service is sold to another company.
- When required by law or as we deem necessary or appropriate to respond to requests from public authorities.
- You can update any contact information you provide to us by using the “My Account” feature available on many of our sites or emailing us at [firstname.lastname@example.org.]
- You can stop the delivery of commercial email messages you receive from any Meredith brand by using the unsubscribe link in any such email you receive.
- You can opt-out of our use of your Web Site viewing behavior data to serve you interest-based advertising on third-party sites and email newsletters here or by clicking on link in the footer of our websites and navigating to the consumer opt-out form. Use the same links to opt-out of interest-based advertising on our Web Sites from any third-party advertising networks we may use.
- You can stop the collection of precise location information you previously authorized by accessing the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
- If you are a mobile app user, you may be able to reset the advertising identifier used to deliver interest-based ads to your device or prevent the related collection of user data across unaffiliated applications for interest-based advertising by accessing the privacy settings in your device. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions.
- You can also exercise choice over the collection of cross-app data on your mobile device by companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance choice tool by installing the AppChoices app available here.
- Meredith is committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.
- We have adopted commercially reasonable procedures to help us secure your information but no data transmissions or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
- If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Effective Date: February 16, 2017
This Policy describes our privacy practices regarding:
- Children under 13
- Information Collected Through Our Services
- Information We May Obtain from Other Sources
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- How We Disclose Information and Your Related Opt-Out Choices
- Your Opt-Out Choices
- Sites to Which We Link
- How to Correct or Update Your Information
- Security, Retention and Storage of Information
Meredith cares about protecting the privacy of children. We won't knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to provide us any personally identifying information online. Children should always get permission from their parents before sending any personal information about themselves (such as their names, email addresses, and phone numbers) over the Internet, to us or to anyone else. We encourage you to become involved in your children's online experience, and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones. If you're under 13, please do not register for any of our Services or provide us with any personally identifying information (such as your name, email address or phone number).
The information we gather through our Services falls into two categories: (1) information you voluntarily supply to us when you register, purchase magazine subscriptions or initiate other transactions, participate in promotions or surveys, submit comments or questions or otherwise communicate with us or others through the Services, and (2) information collected automatically as you use our Services, including without limitation, information that may be collected through our mobile applications while they are in use or running in the background of your device. Third-party providers and advertisers featured on, or linked to or from, our Services may also gather information through processes that we don't control and subject to their own separate privacy policies, which may differ from ours. Some of our Services also may participate in third-party advertising networks or similar services that collect information about your computer or device and your activity online and as a mobile user to tailor some of the advertising that you see on our Services and other third-party sites, mobile apps and marketing channels in their networks to your interests.
Registration and Other Personally Identifying Information.
You may register to use certain features of our Services. When you register, we may collect personally identifying information, including your name, postal address, email address, user name and password, reminder questions and answers and communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive. We may also ask for information about your age, gender, hobbies, interests, preferences (such as your favorite foods, purchases or recipes) and the like, but you're free to register for most of our Services without providing this additional information. When you register for one of our Services, the information you provide may be added to a centralized Meredith database so that you may be simultaneously registered for our other Services as well. In addition, when you use various aspects of our Services, we may ask you for personally identifying information, including when you order magazines or other products, complete a survey, enter a contest, or report a problem with our Services. We may also collect contact information for other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content or offers to your friends and associates. We use this information to facilitate the communications that you request. Please note that if you use any "send-to-a-friend" features of our Services, your email address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
Contests and Other Promotions.
Information Collected Automatically When You Use Our Services.
Meredith or third-party contractors we engage may collect certain information automatically when you use our Services, including but not limited to:
- Web pages, content and advertisements you view and links you click on while navigating within our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our content, including video or audio content, such as the type of content accessed via our Services;
- Information about your interactions with our email messages, such as the links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions and the device you use to read emails;
- The site you visited before visiting a Meredith website and the site you visited after visiting a Meredith website;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address (a numerical address assigned to your computer by your Internet service provider so that other computers connected to the Internet can communicate with you online) that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Search terms you enter using our Services or on a referral site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Your device type, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, Internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone and the names, versions and package IDs of software installed on your device;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies (see additional descriptions of these terms below).
Personalization and Tracking Technologies.
Like most website and mobile application operators, we, our service providers or other third parties acting on our behalf or with our permission, use embedded scripts, "cookies," web beacons, device identifiers and other tracking technologies to operate, analyze, improve and protect the security of our Services and tailor content and advertising to user interests. Third-party companies that provide some of the tools and features accessible through our Services and advertisers and other companies involved in the delivery of advertisements you see on our Services and other websites also may use tracking technologies to collect information about your use of our Services.
Cookies are small amounts of data (often containing a unique identifier) that are stored in separate files within your computer or device’s Internet browser. Cookies are accessed and recorded by the websites you visit, and by the companies that deliver the advertisements you see on our services, so they can recognize the same browser navigating online. You can set your browser to accept or reject most cookies, or to notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) It is up to you to decide whether to allow us or third parties to set cookies, but if you block cookies, you may not be able to view or access some of the features of our Services. Please be aware that certain browsers cannot block or delete so-called "Flash" cookies, which use a feature of the Adobe Flash video player to store information on your computer. For information about how to delete Flash cookies, please visit the Adobe website here.
Web Beacons and Other Tracking Technologies.
Web beacons (sometimes called "transparent GIFs," "clear GIFs," or "pixel tags") are small strings of code that embed a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email or advertisement. When your browser downloads a web beacon, the server that sends the corresponding image to your browser can recognize and store certain types of information such as cookies previously set, the time and date that you viewed the page embedded with the beacon and a description of that page.
Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information.
Certain mobile devices, including smart phones and tablet devices, contain unique device IDs that can be used to identify their physical location. Some mobile device IDs are persistent, while others may be resettable by accessing the device’s privacy settings. Mobile devices also typically transmit caller ID data (which may include a phone number) when used to transmit a telephone call or text message. When you use mobile devices to access our Services, we may collect and transmit unique device IDs and collect caller ID data, as well as other information about your device, including without limitation, your wireless carrier, the make, model, operating system, capacity and settings of your device, the names, package IDs and versions of other software you have downloaded to your device and information about how you interact with and navigate within our Service. With your consent, we or our authorized service providers and partners also may use precise geolocation technology such as GPS or Wi-Fi triangulation or mobile Bluetooth beacon technology to collect information about the exact location of your mobile device. Precise location information may be collected both while you are using one of our mobile applications and continuously over time while our apps are not in use but are running in the background of your device. This information may be used for the purposes described below in "How We Use The Information We Collect," including to tailor special offers and advertising to your interests, both in our Services, and in third-party marketing channels. You can withdraw your consent to the further collection and use of your precise device location data through any of our mobile apps by accessing your device’s privacy settings as further explained below in "Opt-out Choices: Precise Device Location Tracking." For information about how to reset your advertising identifier and your other opt-out choices relating to interest-based advertising in mobile applications, see "Opt-out Choices: Mobile App Advertising and Tracking."
Social Network Posting Tools and "Share" Features.
Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings Service.
We may combine any information collected through the Services with other information that we obtain about you, your computer, and/or device from other companies and sources, including third-party data suppliers and public databases. The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-visible data, such as your posts and submissions to blogs, video-sharing services, and other interactive forums; and
- Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
Our primary goal in collecting information is to provide you with a customized experience when using our Services and to make them more valuable to you. Because our Services are supported by advertising, we also use the information we collect to help us and advertisers efficiently reach consumers who are most likely to be interested in particular products and services. We only use payment and identity verification information as necessary to complete a particular transaction, provide a requested service, enforce legal rights or comply with applicable law.
In addition, we and our authorized service providers generally use other information that we or they collect about you to:
- Customize the content you see when you use our Services and other services as you navigate online;
- Analyze, operate and improve our Services, and fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you email and electronic newsletters;
- Help recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting one of our Services;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards;
- Attribute content that you post to forums we operate on our Services;
- Recognize the same users as they access online or mobile services using multiple browsers or devices and deliver to them appropriate interest-based content and advertising;
- Provide you with special offers, promotions and information from companies within our corporate family, and select third parties in accordance with applicable law;
- Control the display of advertising and develop and deliver advertising tailored to your interests, including advertising that you see on our Services, advertising you see on third-party websites, mobile applications and email programs, and offers and advertising you may receive offline or as push-notifications, from us or others;
- Measure and analyze visitor traffic and usage patterns and improve the quality and effectiveness of our content, features, advertisements, and other communications;
- Conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting;
- Understand whether our users read email messages and click on links contained within those messages;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, comply with applicable law and enforce our Terms of Service Agreement;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Except as otherwise expressly noted herein or within the Services, we may share any information collected through our Services, including without limitation, your name, postal address (and any other information we combine with that information) with our Meredith-affiliated companies, our provider partners and service providers, and with carefully selected third-party organizations and marketers of products and services potentially of interest to you. The following describes some of the circumstances in which we may share information about our users:
We share our users' email addresses with service providers that send email messages and deliver targeted advertising on our behalf. These service providers may collect data about how you interact with those messages (including information about whether and when you opened a particular message or clicked on a link within a message and the device you used to do so) and analyze it in conjunction with similar information they collect when you respond to emails they send on behalf of their other clients who are not affiliated with us. They use this email response information in combination with your email address to target and optimize the delivery of emails and email advertising they send on our behalf and for their other clients. We may also provide our service providers with lists of our user email addresses in a hashed, encrypted or anonymized form that they use to recognize our users as they navigate online or use third-party email services and enable the delivery of interest-based advertising to those users. We do not authorize our service providers to share your email address with their other clients.
If you use our Services to sign up for special email offers from third-party advertisers, we will also share your email address and any other information you provided with your request with the advertisers you selected. Except as described in this policy, we will not sell or rent your email address to unaffiliated third parties for their email marketing purposes, without your consent.
If, during or immediately following registration, you choose to access offers for goods or services that are available from selected third-party companies (“Co-Registration Vendors”), we may make certain contact and demographic information you provide (e.g., name, age, and/or email address) available to these vendors with your consent.
Provider Partners and Service Providers.
Aggregated and Anonymous Information.
We and our service providers may combine information about you with information that we or they collect about other users of our Services and share it in a form that does not identify you personally. We and our service providers may also anonymize information by removing any information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifying to you. We may use aggregated information or other anonymous information and disclose it to third parties as we deem appropriate.
Information You Post to Blogs, Discussion Forums and Community or Social Networking Areas.
Keep in mind that any information that you choose to post to blogs, discussion forums, or other community or social networking services that we offer can be seen, collected and used by anyone who has access to the applicable service. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Legal Compliance, Business Transfers and Other Disclosures.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or within our Services, we may occasionally release information about users of our Services when we deem such release appropriate to comply with law, respond to compulsory process or law enforcement requests, enforce our Terms of Service Agreement, or protect the rights, property or safety of users of our Services, the public, Meredith Corporation, our affiliates, or any third party. Over time, we may reorganize or transfer various assets and lines of business. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or on our Services, we reserve the right to disclose or transfer any information we collect to third parties in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, foreclosure, liquidation, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of Meredith or our affiliates.
To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or to opt-out of receiving marketing offers for other Meredith magazines and products by mail, please use the opt-out form available here or send your request to us in a letter addressed to Meredith Corporation, Opt-Out Postal, Attn: Circulation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Please note that if you choose to opt-out of Meredith’s promotional mailings, you may still receive renewal notices and related offers for any magazines to which you subscribe.
You can opt-out from any Meredith email newsletter or commercial email list and prevent the collection of related email response information by our email service providers by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each message and/ or by visiting the Email Preferences page on our sites and updating your preferences. If you no longer want to receive third-party email offers that you requested through our Services, simply follow the advertiser's unsubscribe link or opt-out instructions that should be included in every commercial message you receive. If you wish to disable web beacons in our email messages, turn images “off” in your email client (e.g., Outlook or Outlook Express). Please refer to the settings or options menu in your email client for more information.
Meredith follows the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral advertising released by the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") in July 2009. To opt-out of our use of your website viewing data to serve interest-based advertising on third-party websites and email newsletters, visit the DAA’s Consumer Choice Page. You can also click on the Ad Choices icon located in the footer of our websites and navigate to the consumer opt-out form. Use the same links to opt-out of the delivery of interest-based advertising on our web sites from the operators of the third-party ad networks we use. Note that you must opt-out separately from each computer or device and browser that you use to access our Services and if you clear your cookies, you will need to repeat the opt-out process. Also note that the preferences you select on the DAA’s Consumer Choice Page do not apply to the collection of cross-app data from your mobile device. The DAA offers a separate choice tool for the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device for interest-based advertising and other applicable uses. To exercise choice for companies participating in this choice tool, you can install the DAA’s AppChoices app available here. Please also review the "Mobile App Advertising and Tracking" section below for additional choices.
Most of the third-party advertising and data companies we work with, including DoubleClick and Google also subscribe to the DAA Principles and/or are members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). To learn more about the information collection practices of NAI members and your related opt-out choices, please visit the NAI's website here. For more information about Lotame’s data collection practices and opt out options, click here. We may also share data with various third parties who provide us services or to whom we provide services, which may include, for example, the following third-party vendors:
You can opt out of interest-based advertising from Google by visiting the About Google Ads page or permanently opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by installing the DoubleClick opt out extension. For information about Google Analytics’ information practices and related opt-out choices, click here.
Adobe and Krux are other third parties we engage to track and analyze usage and browsing patterns of our users. For information about Adobe's information collection practices and related opt-out choices, click here.
We, our authorized service providers and/or other third-party partners involved in the delivery of advertising you receive through our mobile applications may collect information about your mobile device, including unique anonymous advertising identifiers and the names and IDs of apps you have installed, as well as information about how you use our mobile applications and other unaffiliated applications. We and our partners use this information to enable interest-based advertising you receive through our Services and within third-party apps and other marketing channels. Depending on your device and operating system, you may be able to reset your mobile device's advertising identifier to limit this data collection or prevent the collection of usage data across unaffiliated applications for interest-based advertising purposes by accessing the privacy settings on your mobile device. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions. Visit the privacy settings for your mobile device or contact your platform operator for more information.
For information about the mobile data collection practices of the service providers we use to support interest-based advertising in our AllRecipes mobile applications and your additional opt-out choices, click here and here. To exercise choice over the companies participating in the DAA’s separate choice tool for the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device, download the DAA’s AppChoices app available here.
If you authorized us and/or our service providers to collect and/or share information about the precise location of your device through a mobile application, you can always withdraw your consent and prevent the further collection and sharing of your precise device location information by accessing your device’s location privacy settings. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions on how to turn off precise location sharing. Access the privacy settings for your mobile device or contact your platform operator for more information.
Do Not Track.
We also may provide links to other websites or services, and provide access to products and services offered by third parties, whose privacy policies we don't control.
Meredith Corporation provides you with the ability to access and edit certain personally identifying information that you have provided to us through our Services. To update this information, please visit the "My Account" area or comparable feature of the Service you used to enter your information. If you cannot locate such a feature, send us an email at[ firstname.lastname@example.org.] Keep in mind, however, that there will be residual information that will remain within our databases, access logs, and other records, which may or may not contain such personally identifiable information. The residual information will not be used for commercial purposes; however we reserve the right, from time to time, to re-contact former customers or users of this Web site.
We use commercially reasonable procedures to protect the personally-identifying information that we collect. No security system is impenetrable, however. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that information you supply won't be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. Please see our Terms of Service Agreement for more information related to posting materials on our Services including our use of such materials.
(As provided by California Civil Code Section 1798.83)